Hello all, and welcome to part 2 of the BC Spa for Baby Gentle Hair & Body wash. Yesterday I said that I use this product to wash my makeup brushes, since I don't have a baby to wash with it.
Right. About that. For years (ok, only 18 months if we're going to speak baby-talk), I've been wondering why BeautiControl has the most awesome makeup brushes I've ever used (and I've been through my fair share, as I used to be a cosmetician!), but no brush cleaner. Every month, when I know new products are coming out, I keep wishing & hoping, but I haven't held my breath. The way I see it, until the brushes are available for clients to buy, there's likely not going to be a brush cleaner launched. That's just my own personal logic & not based on any fact so don't go quoting me everywhere on the Internet on this one. I don't have any sort of "inside knowledge" from headquarters or anything like that (your consultant would know as much or more than I do, and for consultants your director definitely knows WAY more than me!) but I like to think that I make a lot of sense anyways.
First, you're probably wondering why you would want to ever bother washing your brushes. It's a hassle, it takes time, and they're just going to get dirty again tomorrow anyways. So is your toilet, but I assume you take the time to clean that. And like your toilet, the more often you clean your brushes, the less difficult and time-consuming it is to clean them the next time. Some people will tell you it's a hygiene thing. They don't like germs, or rubbing old germs back on their face, which is legit. Others say it's what you're supposed to do, so they do it & they don't know why, and some believe it helps their brushes to last longer so they won't need to replace them. Still others (someone recently told me this. Ahem, you know who you are!) say they've never cleaned their brushes in their life & don't see a point. Personally, I have one very vain reason for doing it: I hate getting pimples.
If you have oily, sensitive, or acne-prone skin, it is even more important for you to clean your brushes than the normal Suzy-Q next to you. My anti-acne routine is super intense, and even 1 mis-step can lead to a week of misery with giant red blots all over my face. Did anyone else's doctor ever tell them when they were younger that they will out-grow their acne or it will calm down as they age? She hasn't tried to use that line on me since my early 20s, I think she's given up hope too. It's like a blessing and a curse. Blessing is, I will look like I'm 12 until I'm 70. Curse? It's acne, you can figure that one out. Oh, and it's such a pain to see musicals at the casino. They have such a beautiful stage & I LOVE going, but my mom is always shocked when I start fishing out my ID in the parking lot. She's even more surprised when the guard demands to see it & I'm not 2 steps in the door. My sisters don't get stopped. Oh yeah, and we go to the casino in Gatineau, Quebec, so you only have to be 18 to enter. A decade of ID checks & going strong. *sigh*
So the long story short is all of those brush-cleaning fairies are right: it's about the bacteria, you're supposed to do it, and taking care of them does help them last longer (aka less money you need to spend in the long run). Here's your step by step how-to:
1. Put a dab of baby shampoo (read: gentle hair & body wash) in the palm of your hand.
2. Add a teensy bit of water & work into a lather.
3. Swirl brush in lather. Soap will turn all sorts of nasty colours, depending on what you're cleaning (foundation brush will be the colour of your foundation, eyeshadow will be the last few colours you used & maybe more (!), eyeliner is whatever colour you used that for, etc).
4. Rinse & lay flat to dry. I let the brush heads hang a bit over the edge of a counter, so that they don't stay wet on the side that's face-down.
Remember to be gentle with your bristles, because they can break easily & that will make your brushes both less effective and less soft. Once dry, they should be as baby-soft (get it???) as when you first got them! How often do you clean them? Once a week! Oh and one last thing: the hair dryer is NOT your brushes' friend, please don't use it. They will turn gross & you will be angry at me, so let's save this friendship & let them dry overnight like everyone else. Thanks & happy cleaning!
P.S. Did you try it? How did yours turn out???
No comments:
Post a Comment